Crush: Gordon Parks

I feel like a moron. Friday apparently marked what would have been the 100 year birthday of photographer and fashion history enthusiast Gordon Parks. My moronic feeling stems from the fact that until about fifteen minutes ago, I had no clue who Mr. Parks was, but now I find myself in awe and scrambling to catch up on the career of a fashion photography legend.

Photo credit: The Gordon Parks Foundation via Facebook

I photograph as a hobby. It fulfills me artistically and gives me an outlet for my always evolving, confused emotions. Long have a I found things such as black and white Dior and Balenciaga couture photography prints alluring to my femininity, historical interest, and my desire to create. Discovering Gordon Parks is like combining the charm of 1950s fashion photography with the sponteity of 2012 street photography.

If I sound like a fan girl, it's because I totally am.

But how can you not be? Parks's fashion photography work spans the gamut of designers, from the iconic to the cinematic. Peep these shots and then head over to the New York Times's blog and Time.com for complete slideshows and wonderful tributes to Gordon.

Jaque Fath coat dress, Paris, 1949 / Photo credit: Lens @ New York Times online
Model, 1952 / Photo credit: Style @ Time.com

French models, 1950 / Style @ Time.com

Lilly Dache nursemaid's kerchief / Photo credit: Style @ Time.com 
Balenciaga cocktail dress, 1950 / Photo credit: Style @ Time.com



Comments

Popular Posts