My Closet: Let's Talk Sweaters and Gush About New York

As I've mentioned before, I visited New York for the first time just a few weeks back. I absolutely adored the city and have been homesick for its busy streets ever since. Being an impatient person, I found the pace of the city very easily adaptable, as well as the whole subway/bus system, further concreting within me a hatred of cars and driving.

My brother had cautioned me before my trip that I would find the city overwhelming... in general, that definitely was not the case. What I DID find overwhelming was the quality and quantity of crazy, exciting, ridiculously excellent shopping there was to be had on 5th Avenue. As a recovering, and often relapsing shopaholic/clothes hoarder/what have you, this was incredibly invigorating and dangerous and I loved it.

My first day in the city I went to Saks (and my life has not been the same since. What's the point of malls? Really. Kidding but not kidding). All of those lovely designers, and frocks, and bags, that I follow, and adore, and desire were right there. And I could touch them. And try them on. And buy them. 

After loading my arms full of sequined dresses and cozy Marc Jacobs sweaters, I eventually found the Elizabeth and James section of the 4th floor. Or maybe it was the 5th? (So many floors!!) Anyways, this was one of those pieces that I just knew was perfect for me.

via Instagram

There was only one of these sweaters, in my size. It was gray (one of the colors I buy most) with leather detailing (ever since purchasing a quality pair of pleather pants at The Gap last winter, I can't quit chasing after leather). Out of everything I took in to the fitting room, it was the only thing that fit, and fit well. Oh, and it had a pocket (!!!!). Essentially, I fell in love right when I put it on, and knew I couldn't leave without it.

       
Ohio is cold.
                           

I choked a little when I realized the price, but as far as impulse buys go, this is one I don't regret. It's a nice, tight blended knit of synthetics and wool, and the lambskin leather is heavenly. A good sweater is a staple that you can live in and I've already worn this one more than many of my other knits, making me feel a little better about the fact that I spent two student loan payments on a sweater (don't tell my mom...).

"I spent how much?!"
I am a minimalist at heart and my favorite outfit is a sweater with a good pair of skinny jeans and either flats or a nice, sturdy heel. I'll leave you with Irina of A Portable Package doing it just right.


Photo cred: A Portable Package

Comments

Popular Posts