Living Classicism: Valentino

She seemed so enchanting.. or perhaps under the spell of a mysterious enchantment. Her hands were empty but appeared to be clasping a delicate object. My mind immediately thought of an apple... the fairytale-like qualities her pale skin eschewed seemed to allude to that possibility. The absence of an object in her hands only furthered my curiosity and piqued my imagination, just as any good story ought to. 

               

Photo credit: Fashion Rogue
I first spotted this mysterious girl within the pages of Vogue this past September. I had never given too much thought to Maison Valentino, but ever since spotting the 2013 ad campaigns inspired by master Dutch painters of the 17th century, I became both enchanted and impressed. 

If I'm being truthful, my first inkling at the houses's magical creativity came with their Spring/Summer 2013 campaign. 

Photo credit: Grazia Daily

But I forgot about these images until this past week. With the arrival of the Spring 2014 Couture shows in Paris, I found myself being breathlessly pulled in to the beauty and artistry that defines this house. Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli based their couture works on 55 operas. The results are stunning. I am still in awe of the first look... the score of La Traviata embroidered on tulle!
         
















Photo credit: Women's Wear Daily
My personal feelings are these: Finally. A house, a pair of designers, who appreciate art and music! Who seem to understand it in its original, truest form... In the sense that they grasp the history (context) and the aesthetics behind these things. In doing so, they masterfully transformed the emotions communicated in to ethereal, expressive pieces of clothing. To me, this is a beautiful fusion of fashion, history and art--reflecting and expressing as one.

Comments

Popular Posts