Greetings from NY!

It took much planning, sweat and tears (...literally!) but I am all moved and settling in to New York City life, with grad school in full swing! I find it to be so magical here... there is quite a mixture of people and ethnicities; each neighborhood has its own vibe and I find myself literally stumbling upon pleasant surprises (Riverside Park, the Highline, Chelsea Market, Latino concerts by the Hudson) on a daily basis.

One of my favorite cultural events I have had the pleasure of attending so far is the Met Opera's HD festival at Lincoln Center. A free professional opera screened outside on a delicious summer's night? Count me in. 

This past Saturday I was able to take in a few acts of Manon, a tragic love story centering upon the dangers of greed and lust. I came to admire the talent of Anna Netrebko after hearing her for the first time in a screening of Lucia di Lammermoor last weekend, and knew I'd regret it if I missed the last opera in the Met's summer series to feature her.


Anna Netrebko as Manon / Photo credit: The Music Hall


I was amazed by the hundreds of people who flocked to the square around the fountain at Lincoln Center each night for the festival.





The sense of community this sort of gathering creates in the city is very distinct. There's such a relaxed, enlightened atmosphere to it; couples and families picnicking and individuals from all walks of life free to enjoy the lovely weather and the fine art of opera.









The city has brought to me a sense of freshness and inspiration, a legacy and reputation that is not new by any means, but one that does not fail to seemingly captivate many who become engulfed by its light. Here's to a new start and, once again, a new look at life and the stories to be told.

Comments

Popular Posts