Crush: Hajnal Pivnick

Clothing, for some, is so intimately tied to emotional and characteristic expression; I often find that this same philosophy holds true for those who find their creative outlet through music. An individual who gracefully navigates both of these creative worlds is intriguing and darling to me. Meet the gorgeous NYC-based violinist Hajnal Pivnick. In my mind, Hajnal is a breath of fresh air. I have often perceived that within the world of classical female musicians, appearance was not a priority or, in some cases, not even a consideration. I'm glad to be proved wrong!

Hajnal was gracious enough to answer a few questions for me and to provide a peek in to her sartorial world.

A New Look: Give me a brief background on your music career.
Hajnal: I've been playing the violin since I was 3 years old! I took lessons all my life, and when I was 16 years old, I went to my first summer music camp, where I was suddenly playing in orchestra with people my own age as well as people who were in college. When I saw that it was possible to make a living in music, my interest was piqued and I began taking my studies to the next level. I went to Carnegie Mellon University for my undergrad and then moved to Budapest, Hungary for three years to get my master's at the Liszt Academy of Music. After that, I lived in Memphis for a year freelancing before moving to NYC.

"I love harsh and severe accessories when they are paired with a classic all black look. Studs and spikes all the way!!"
ANL: How impacted do you feel by clothing?
H: Clothing is a huge part of how I express myself on a daily basis. I choose my clothes and accessories according to the activities I have planned for the day, as well as by how I am feeling when I wake up in the morning. 

ANL: Do you use clothing to present a particular image when performing?
H: As a performer, I have to choose the right image I want to convey, because the first thing an audience will notice is my appearance. First impressions are crucial for setting the tone of a performance, much the same as it is for a job interview. If I am playing with an indie rock group in Brooklyn, I will choose something different to wear than I would for a symphony concert in a concert hall in Manhattan. 

"Earrings I made that I wear with black, knits, or a casual outfit to transform it into a chic boho look."


"Lipstick can make the biggest impact when you have to wear all black for a concert."


H: Travel is also a big part of my life, and I always pack for a trip based on the weather (obviously), the culture, and local street style. I love checking out street style or look-book blogs in particular cities or countries that I am visiting to get an idea of what the locals are wearing. You can learn a lot about the daily commute, weather, and pace of a city by seeing how the people dress. I was planning a trip to Sweden a few summers ago, and had no idea what to expect in Stockholm in June. You would think that it would be relatively warm and cool nights, right? Not at all, it turned out! It was brisk and cool most of the time while I was there, and layering was key!! I saw on many street style blogs that lots of women were dressed in scarfs and tights. I packed enough extra layers for the trip that not only was I comfortable the entire time, but I also could have passed for a native! Blending into the local culture is one of my favorite parts of traveling.

"I was visiting Istanbul this past summer, and needed a look that could be easily covered with a scarf for visits to local mosques. I also wanted the colors to stand out against the ornate tiles that the Turks are so well known for. This dress was knee length and long sleeved, so a simple scarf covering my head and the cutout in the back of this dress helped me transition from the sacred sites to the secular very easily!"
Photo credit: All photos provided by Hajnal Pivnick
I admire the easy adaptability Hajnal enjoys with her clothing without sacrificing her personal style! 

Get to know more about Hajnal and her work here.

Comments

Popular Posts