Answering the Inevitable...

As I gear up for my NY move, my list of things to pack for a life out on my own (for the first time ever!!) is quite lengthy, and, at times, daunting. I'm making sure everything is in place: living situation, work, internships, volunteering, classes. But the thing that's been moving from my subconscious in to the forefront of my mind the most lately is: Just what exactly am I going to wear while I live in one of the fashion capitols of the world? That in itself feels like tremendous pressure to me and a standard that I can not live up to; emulating New York's urban, forward thinking, American sense of style. Or can I?

Street style always serves as some of the best inspiration and these images from Stockholm Streetstyle reminded me today what dressing is about: staying true to your personality and evolving tastes. Most of these shots come from Paris, but the ideas these individuals pieced together in their outfits resonated with me, and I feel aspects could easily be created from the wardrobe I already have. Part of the challenge of this move is the lack of extra spending money. In a way, I'm glad, though. The city is going to force me to take a new look at my wardrobe and to utilize it as such, not just as a closet of "fast fashion"

I'm excited to start really playing/experimenting with layers and texture. I also need to become more conscious of my silhouette. Take the examples below:


Navy blue and black is such a modern color combination, and exciting to me personally since I own many pieces comprised of the two colors. I'm also excited for cooler weather... love my black tights and boots!


Not only are layers fun, but so are combining sheer and solid fabrics. I adore how feminine and playful this whole look is.


I've never been a fan of over the knee boots--until now. I love the juxtaposition of mature with young fashion elements, as well as casual vs. prim. Such a challenge to master and she does it so well!


Mixing prints is exciting, but I'm always afraid of looking too busy. I adore how minimalistically bold this dress/sleeveless blazer combo is! I'm going to try sticking to one color scheme when mixing patterns.


I have a few bodycon dresses that I know I'd feel more relaxed in when covered with a sweater. The cozy slippers make this even more appealing.


I think only the French (and the Olsen twins) can pull off oversize slouchiness and make it look chic. I will continue to attempt...! I think the key is in proportions. I also appreciate a good wide-legged short--so flattering.


Not a fan of the print on this skirt (but in navy blue and red? YES.) so much as the silhouette. The hat is so cheeky, and the crop top is tastefully done. I love the lady-like details she added: the slim belt, watch, vintage bag, and flats.


The tie-in of iconic vintage imagery to relatively basic summer-wear has me feeling affectionate towards all of my past thrift store finds. What new combos can I make, mixing old and new clothing?



Ethnic? Vintage? COLOR. So lovely.


I love how simple this outfit is, but with her tall and thin body, it has a casual edginess that I envy. Time to bust out the graphic tees again, no?

Photo credit: Stockholm Streetstyle
And lastly, black blouse, black hi-waisted shorts, black boots. Why did I never think to throw one of my beloved plaid button-ups over it? 

How does street style inspire you to work with what's already in your wardrobe?

Comments

Popular Posts