My Closet: Hermes for Wear-Right Gloves

While visiting Ohio earlier this summer I made sure to stop in at my favorite local vintage store in Canton, Avenue Antiques. The shop hosts an ever-changing parade of antique furniture, jewellry, housewear, cameras, instruments, books, toys, handbags, and clothing. Some of my favorite jewelry was found on lazy summer afternoons purusing the copius boxes and bins of treasures. 

This particular trip I did not have as much time to spend in the shop as I would have liked, so I hit my three favorite spots: vintage photographs, jewelry and clothing. All I ended up walking out with was a pair of white and blue gloves for $3; covered with blue x's against a white background, the gloves struck me as charming and, not to mention, they fit my relatively small hands! 





Once in my car I looked inside the gloves and discovered, quite pleasantly to my surprise, the words Hermes Paris and Wear-Right on the label. I did a bit of research and found a more intact label:

Photo credit: The Vintage Traveler

Around 1950-1952, Hermes produced gloves through the Wear-Right company for sale in the United States. The gloves's handstitching and elaborate piecing are typical of the era. The craftsmanship produced delicate and lady-like results.

A 1952 ad from Town & Country via The Vintage Traveler
Hermes for Wear-Right produced these gloves in other patterns, most notably striped, as this ad shows. So far I have found examples of red and blue stripes on white, as well as gray on yellow.

Photo credit: 1stdibs


I realized that the construction of the gloves creates x's at the ends of the fingertips, mirroring the printed design -- so charming!


Considering their age, these gloves are in lovely condition... These will only be coming out for special occasions!

Comments

Popular Posts