Self Portraiture: Mirrors and Observations

 This past weekend, my book-loving beau took me to the oldest Barnes and Noble in the country, located in Union Square. The building was a charming historic escape in itself; the early Christmas decorations sprinkled throughout the store only lent to its captivating aesthetic.

Photo credit: METALOCUS

As I perused the welcoming book tables, I stumbled upon a surprising collection of Vivian Maier's photographs. I've been familiar with Maier's street photography for some time now but had not realized the range of her self portraiture. Vivian spent 1951-1956 living and working in New York as a nanny; her free time seems to have been largely devoted to honing her photographic passion and craft. Vivian's work was left largely undiscovered until 2007, making this woman an even more fascinating figure in regards to photography and American history.


Photo credit: npr on tumblr

Photo credit: TIME Lightbox

Photo credit: METALOCUS
"It seems that Maier was an outsider looking into the lives of others. People weren’t aware of how great she was as an artist but she didn’t need that validation to keep going as a photographer. She could see a moment that was more unobtrusive and intimate yet powerful." 
-John Maloof, historian and collector

Photo credit: Pinterest

Photo credit: METALOCUS

Self portraiture is such a personal way of exploring one's own deepest feelings, but when mixed with mirrors and reflections, as Maier so artfully shows us, seems to take that sort of self analysis to another level. It appears to express a strong sense of self as an observer--reflective of one's own state as well as observant as to a place relative in space with the people also present in the moment. Vivian stops to observe and makes note of the fact that she is observing, all within one shot, layering her work with thoughtfulness and curiosity.

Her characteristic hat strikes a bold silhouette is many of her photographs, adding another notable physical layer to her work--clothing. I adore the beach shot above for several reasons. First, from a fashion historical standpoint, this shot is a nice primary source for beachwear and beauty techniques of the era. I always get a thrill from seeing what people actually looked like wearing the styles of the times! Secondly, the woman's beachwear is quite juxtaposed by Vivian's silhouette; based on her other work and noting her manner of dress, it seems likely that she is still sporting a rather conservative outfit regardless of the fact that she is at the beach. Vivian's hat makes numerous appearances in her work, adding a signature yet relatable and comfortable element to her art. Aesthetically, that hat was part of her, and thus, part of her work.

Personally, I have been captivated since I began shooting film in 2011 with photographing myself in the mirror. I never did so out of vanity, but always out of a much deeper feeling, one that I didn't quite understand at the time. I just simply knew that I found something fulfilling yet mysterious about mirrors and reflections. It's nice being able to see myself in space, to gain a perspective to how I fit in with my surroundings.

 

Comments

Popular Posts